QinetiQ is committed to delivering a responsible and sustainable business and we are continuing to develop a sustainability framework across our estate and the sites we manage for MOD under the LTPA. We have set challenging targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and waste, underpinned by our environmental management (certified to ISO 14001). We promote the protection and enhancement of biodiversity, and positive engagement with the community. We are helping MOD to ensure that the LTPA estate is resilient to the impact of climate change and are working with our suppliers to increase sustainable procurement.
Our FY13/14 environmental targets are to
Reduce Carbon footprint - aiming for a reduction of 15% by March 2015 by:
- Energy efficiency improvements across the estate by our Facilities Management (FM) team
- Continued focus on reducing travel across our business
- Engaging employees to reduce their energy usage.
Improve waste management - continuing to encourage reduction in waste, increased re-use of assets and enhanced segregation of waste streams for recycling
Why is sustainable development important to defence?
“Making SD an integral part of all defence business protects and enhances defence capability. Without systematic consideration of SD principles, there is a real risk that defence capability will be threatened as increasing environmental, social and economic pressures exacerbate existing conflicts and have an adverse impact on the operation of our equipment, estate and people. We need to plan for these threats and play our part in reducing their severity.” - MOD spokesman
Key facts on Sustainability
- We manage sites with a variety of conservation designations (WHS, SSSI, SPA, SAC, RAMSAR)
- We have won three Sanctuary Awards for conservation work since 2004
- We have reduced our energy use from 96.7 ktonnes CO2 in 2006 to 59.6 ktonnes CO2 in 2013
- We have increased recycling from 18% in 2006 to >70% in 2013